Finally, I found the group that I am going to immerse myself in this semester. It was a group that I belonged to back in 2008, one that I had a lot of fun participating with, and one that has a very particular focus. My job? To find out who they are, why they are there, what makes them keep coming there, what keeps them there, and what kinds of things drive them to share their stories, swap their tears, complain, commiserate, support, and report on their trials and tribulations.
The group? This is a forum for people who are following a weight-loss routine called Michael Thurmand's Six Week Body Makeover. The "six week" tag, by the way, is for those with only a bit to lose. The forum group that I am participating in has a bit more. Then name of the forum is "100 or More Pounds to Lose" and the name of the [very active] thread I am following/posting in is called "Need a buddy? Week 1 over. Lost 9 lbs."
Yeah, I, too, am not sure what that one thread should have such a following, but it does. According to the stats, this thread has 10,452 replies posted, and 101,774 views logged. From looking at the profile of the original poster, she joined the forum in 2003 and her last login was back in 2007, so clearly, this topic has taken on a life of its own without her.
This should be an interesting immersion...I'll try to keep thinking through, and reporting on, what I find here.
No comments:
Post a Comment